Newspapers and Magazines
Online Resource Tutorials
The Garland Libraries offer video tutorials on how to use many of our online resources. Learn how to use Value Line, Mango Languages, Testing and Education Reference Center, Chilton Auto Repair and many more. Also included are tutorials on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat, Gmail, Google Photos, and Goodreads.
We have grouped several resource together to make them easier to find:
- Contains full-text news articles from 2,300 local, regional, and national newspapers.
PressReader Newspapers and Magazines
Access thousands of newspapers every day, along with 90 days of back issues from national, provincial, and global leading publications. Check out and access all the newspapers in an easy-to-read page view or text view format in a PressReader display. Search articles and publications and set preferences for your daily newspapers. Over 100 countries in 60 languages provide must-have newspapers, and with a press of a button, you can translate your favorites from their original language into more than 16 languages.
Local papers include:
- The Dallas Morning News
Other major papers:
- Los Angeles Times
- Chicago Tribune
- New York Post
- Daily Mail
- Philadelphia Enquirer
How to access PressReader Newspapers and Magazines:
- Download the PressReader app or go to www.pressreader.com
- Click "Sign In" and choose "Library or Group" to get to the unlimited access for Garland Library cardholders.
- Search for Garland Public Library and select it from the list.
- Enter your library card information and PIN to begin reading.
Newspaper Source Plus
Newspaper Source Plus provides a full-text digital collection of the world's major news content. It includes millions of articles from newspapers, newswires and news magazines. In addition, it offers television and radio transcripts and ongoing daily updates from popular news sources.
- Full text for more than 1,200 newspapers
- More than 40 news magazines
- News from more than 130 newswires
- More than 77 million full-text articles
- More than 1.8 million television and radio news transcripts
Daily Updates with News View: ongoing updates throughout the day. Popular sources include:
- AP (Associated Press)
- CNN Wire
- PR Wire
- UPI (United Press International)
- Xinhua (China)
News View also includes television and radio news transcripts from top sources:
- ABC News (American)
- ABC (Australian)
- CBC (Canadian)
- CBS News
- CNN International
- FOX News
- National Public Radio
Newspaper Source Plus is also included in Explora.
Regional Business News
Full text for more than 80 regional U.S. and Canadian business publications (including titles from Crain Communications),
A supplemental database for customers of Business Source Complete.
Magazines can be checked out for 7 or 21 days and can be renewed.
Digital magazines have no wait lists or holds and do not count towards your 10 checkout limit.
Unlimited access to over 3,000 titles, including top titles like:
- US Weekly
- National Geographic
- Good Housekeeping
- Vanity Fair
- Rolling Stone
- Cook's Illustrated
The magazines can best be accessed through the Libby app or Libby app in a browser. Readers can browse lists of magazines within the app and search to find available titles.
Magazines - OverDrive website https://nmls.overdrive.com/library/magazines
Magazines - Libby App in a browser: https://libbyapp.com/library/nmls
If you aren't able to use the Libby App on your device (such as a Kindle Fire), you can access the Libby app in any browser at https://libbyapp.com/library/nmls.
Academic Search Complete
Largest collection of active full text peer-reviewed journals
Features PDF content going back as far as 1887, with the majority of full-text titles in native (searchable) PDF format.
Directory of Open Access Journals
Free, full text, quality controlled scientific and scholarly journals
Aim to cover all subjects and languages
Designed specifically for public libraries.
This resource contains:
- Full-text periodicals covering general reference, business, health, education, general science, multicultural issues and much more
- Full-text more than 500 reference books,
- Over 107,000 primary source documents,
- An Image Collection of over 510,000 photos, maps & flags,
- PDF backfiles (as far back as 1975) for key publications including American Libraries, Foreign Affairs, History Today, Judaism, Library Journal, National Review, Saturday Evening Post, etc.