Am I required to carry flood insurance?

Per the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) all residential or commercial structures that are located within the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) are required to carry flood insurance in order to secure a federally backed mortgage. In addition, your mortgage company has the option to require flood insurance at their discretion.

The City of Garland cannot participate in negotiations to remove flood insurance purchase requirements from a given property.

Show All Answers

1. What is a 100-year floodplain?
2. What is a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA)?
3. Am I required to carry flood insurance?
4. Is my home or business in the floodplain?
5. My mortgage company says my home or business is in the floodplain, but I disagree. What can be done to address this?
6. How do I obtain an Elevation Certificate?
7. When can I develop in the floodplain?
8. What is a Floodplain Development Permit?
9. What is the difference between FEMA designated zones A, AE, X (shaded), and X?
10. What is the floodway?
11. What is a LOMA, LOMR, LOMR-F, or CLOMR?